Crash and Burnout?

I think I might be in dangerous territory here. Since my 13-mile run on Saturday, I've had no energy. I'm sleepy all the time and just TIRED, so tired, kind of moody (if you ask my husband), even a bit depressed.

In a New York Times article called "Crash and Burnout" on overtraining, I read this:

“I work with a lot of runners and distance athletes,” says Ralph Reiff, a certified athletic trainer who's the director of the St. Vincent Sports Performance Center in Indianapolis and a leading expert on the symptoms and treatment of overtraining. “In my experience, a large percentage of the people who train for 10Ks, half-marathons and marathons are overtrained by the time they reach the starting line. Same with cyclists and cross-country skiers. A very high percentage get into a state of fatigue that they just cannot get out of.”

Maybe that 25 miles last week was overdoing it a bit. I was following a plan (sort of), but modified the long run from 12 miles to 13.1 so I'd know what it felt like before race day.

I did the elliptical yesterday for 20 minutes to help with tight and sore muscles. Then, today speedwork was on the training plan. I managed 2.25 miles, but it wasn't terribly speedy.

I'm due to run 9 more miles this week, but I'm a little alarmed at my body's slow recovery. I think I'd better take it easy the rest of the week. I've got to recover by April 26!

Also from the article---

How to Tell If You’re Overtraining

Fatigue that persists for more than 72 hours after a workout, often accompanied by insomnia.

Muscle pain and weakness that persist for more than three days.

Irritability, anxiety, depression. Unsure if you’re being extra-moody? Ask your significant other.

A rise in resting heart rate. Track yours by wearing a heart-rate monitor to bed.

A dramatic drop-off in performance for no obvious reason.

“Heavy legs,” or the feeling that your lower limbs, once springy and quick, have turned to stone.


I'm at the 72-hour mark today. If I don't feel better by tomorrow, I'm going to be freaking out.

Comments

katieo said…
ohno!! That sounds really hard. Better safe than sorry, I'd take it easy! Sounds like your body is trying to communicate to you. It doesn't seem like resting a little more or taking a break would hurt anything, but pushing it might! yeesh!